Use valid VMSS computer names#
Virtual Machine Scale Set (VMSS) computer name should meet naming requirements.
When configuring Azure VMSS the assigned computer name prefix must meet operation system (OS) requirements.
The requirements for Windows VM instances are:
- Between 1 and 15 characters long.
- Alphanumerics, and hyphens.
- Can not include only numbers.
The requirements for Linux VM instances are:
- Between 1 and 64 characters long.
- Alphanumerics, periods, and hyphens.
- Start with alphanumeric.
Consider using computer names that meet OS naming requirements. Additionally, consider using computer names that match the VMSS resource name.
VMSS resource names have different naming restrictions.
Azure.VMSS.Name for details.