Use valid VM computer names#
Virtual Machine (VM) computer name should meet naming requirements.
When configuring Azure VMs the assigned computer name must meet operation system (OS) requirements.
The requirements for Windows VMs are:
- Between 1 and 15 characters long.
- Alphanumerics, and hyphens.
- Can not include only numbers.
The requirements for Linux VMs are:
- Between 1 and 64 characters long.
- Alphanumerics, periods, and hyphens.
- Start with alphanumeric.
Consider using computer names that meet OS naming requirements. Additionally, consider using computer names that match the VM resource name.
VM resource names have different naming restrictions.
Azure.VM.Name for details.