App Service apps uses a managed identity#
Configure managed identities to access Azure resources.
Azure App Service apps must authenticate to Azure resources such as Azure SQL Databases. App Service can use managed identities to authenticate to Azure resource without storing credentials.
Using Azure managed identities have the following benefits:
- You don't need to store or manage credentials. Azure automatically generates tokens and performs rotation.
- You can use managed identities to authenticate to any Azure service that supports Azure AD authentication.
- Managed identities can be used without any additional cost.
Consider configuring a managed identity for each App Service app. Also consider using managed identities to authenticate to related Azure services.
- Use identity-based authentication
- What are managed identities for Azure resources?
- Tutorial: Secure Azure SQL Database connection from App Service using a managed identity
- How to use managed identities for App Service and Azure Functions
- Azure template reference