The Azure SDK team is pleased to announce our November 2019 client library releases. This represents the first GA release of a ground-up rewrite of our client libraries to ensure consistency, idiomatic design, productivity, and an excellent developer experience.
This release includes the following:
- Storage (Blobs, Queues)
- Key Vault (Secrets, Keys)
- Storage (Files)
- Event Hubs
- App Configuration
To install any of our packages, please search for them via
Manage NuGet Packages... in Visual Studio (with
Include prerelease checked) or copy these commands into your terminal:
$> dotnet add package Azure.Storage.Blobs $> dotnet add package Azure.Storage.Blobs.Batch $> dotnet add package Azure.Storage.Queues $> dotnet add package Azure.Storage.Files.Shares --version 12.0.0-preview.5 $> dotnet add package Azure.Security.KeyVault.Secrets $> dotnet add package Azure.Security.KeyVault.Key $> dotnet add package Azure.Security.KeyVault.Certificates --version 4.0.0-preview.6 $> dotnet add package Azure.Messaging.EventHubs --version 5.0.0-preview.5 $> dotnet add package Azure.Identity $> dotnet add package Azure.Data.AppConfiguration --version 1.0.0-preview.4 $> dotnet add package Azure.Cosmos --version 4.0.0-preview
If you have a bug or feature request for one of the libraries, please file an issue in our repo.
Detailed changelogs are linked from the Quick Links below. Here are some of the highlights:
- New client libraries were created using the Azure SDK Design Guidelines for .NET resulting in consistent API patterns and shared features like automatic retries, authentication, logging, configurable transport pipelines, exceptions, mocking, etc.
- Support for Azure Active Directory credentials using our new Identity library that embrace the future of authentication across Azure services.
- Parity across synchronous and asynchronous APIs offering a choice appropriate to your application.
- Updated dependencies on the latest (preview-7) version of
Azure.Storage.Blobs.Batchfor consistency with other platforms
Azure.Storage.Files.Sharesto better align with the newly released Azure.Storage.Files.DataLake and provide a consistent set of APIs for working with files on Azure
- Renamed a number of operations and models to better align with other client libraries and the .NET Framework Design Guidelines
- Bug fixes
- Various types have been renamed. See the Identity changelog for details.
- Updated exception model across the Azure.Identity library.
TokenCredentialimplementations in the Azure.Identity library now throw exceptions rather than returning
AccessToken) when no token is obtained
- Added the
CredentialUnavailableExcpetionexception type to distinguish cases when failure to obtain an
- The early stages of a large refactoring of the Event Hub client type hierarchy are complete. For more details, please see the Event Hubs changelog.
- Cancellation tokens are now fully supported throughout the client hierarchy and across operations.
- The information about the last event enqueued to a partition is now presented as an immutable object, if the tracking option was enabled.
- Retry policies and timeouts have been made local to a specific client instance, making them easier to configure and reason about.
- Client types using Azure identity for authorization should now be working properly; a bug was fixed to allow the proper authorization scopes to be requested. (A community contribution, courtesy of albertodenatale)
Keyhas been renamed to
KeyVaultKeyto avoid ambiguity with other libraries and to yield better search results.
KeyClient.GetKeyVersionshave been renamed to
KeyClient.DeleteKeyhas been renamed to
KeyClient.StartDeleteKeyand now returns a
DeleteKeyOperationto track this long-running operation.
Secrethas been renamed to
KeyVaultSecretto avoid ambiguity with other libraries and to yield better search results.
SecretClient.GetSecretVersionshave been renamed to
SecretClient.DeleteSecrethas been renamed to
SecretClient.StartDeleteSecretand now returns a
DeleteSecretOperationto track this long-running operation.
- Various other types have been renamed. See the Key Vault Keys and Secrets changelogs for details.
- The Certificates client library has been updated to work with the 1.0.0 release versions of Azure.Core and Azure.Identity.
ConfigurationClientmethod names to align with client methods in other Azure SDK libraries.
- Made terminology consistent around
- Removed methods and properties exposing unnecessary complexity, including a
SetConfigurationSettingoverload and the
- Fixed a bug causing incorrect request signing on retries.
- Additional API improvements; see App Configuration changelog for further details.
- Initial 4.0.0 preview release.