Imagine program provides special Azure access rights to students that are validated through the Microsoft Imagine program. If you are not enrolled , please enroll here
Azure subscriptions enrolled in this program previously had access to a Free MySQL Database from ClearDB. Moving forward ClearDB FreeDatabase will no longer be supported as part of Imagine program. You can still leverage MySQL from MySQL in-app(Preview)
What Imagine offer students get with MySQL in-app(Preview):
Here is a FAQ to help answer common question due to this change in service for Imagine program.
- MySQL in-app gives you an experience of native MySQL running locally alongside the web server.
- One database for One web app . It is not restricted on App service plan.
- Storage of 1 GB shared by the your web app's files and database content
- RAM of 1 GB
- Phpmyadmin access to manage your database from Azure portal
- Supports logging for MySQL server logs and Slow query logs. Note these are turned off by default.
1.Can I continue to use, my existing ClearDB Free MySQL database?
Yes. You can continue to use your existing ClearDB Free MySQL database.
2. Can I create a new ClearDB MySQL database on my Imgaine program subscription?
No you cannot create a new Free ClearDB MySQL database on your Imagine program subscription. You can purchase a new Azure subscription such as Pay-as-you-go
etc. to be able to create ClearDB MySQL database
3. How can I export my ClearDB database to MySQL in-app(Preview) database?
Check out this article
to learn how to export the database and import it in MySQL in-app(Preview) database.
4. How can I access phpmyadmin for MySQL in-app(Preview)
In the Azure portal , under your web app settings menu you have an option to manage your MySQL in-app(Preview) settings. To learn more , click here
5. What applications can I install with MySQL from Azure Web Marketplace?
The following application will be available for Imagine program :
- Web app + MySQL
- Drupal 8
- PHP starter site
- PHPBB (with MYSQL )
You can turn on MySQL in-app(Preview)
for your web app and bring your own custom PHP code or CMS solution.