.NET Framework 4.8 is coming to App Service
The .NET Framework 4.8 update is a non-breaking in-place upgrade on App Service. No updates are required to existing applications.
An update is coming for App Service to support .NET Framework 4.8. You will soon be able to take advantage of the updated .NET Framework toolset, bug fixes, and key improvements in accessibility and runtime. For the full list of updates and changes see the announcement and release notes. The update will come to App Service starting in July 14, 2020 and completing by September 15, 2020. For sovereign clouds the update will start on August 11, 2020 completing by October 15, 2020. In preparation for the platform upgrade to .NET Framework 4.8, customers can choose to test applications locally in advance.
To track progress during the deployment, we will be posting periodic updates on this GitHub Issue.
Testing your applications locally
Test your application locally by completing the following steps:
- Download & install .NET Framework 4.8 for your appropriate scenario here.
- Run your application in your local browser and verify the application features.
- If you have issues with your application, feedback can be given on GitHub.
—Optional steps if you plan to re-target your application in the future to explicitly require .NET Framework 4.8—
- If you choose to re-target your application to 4.8 in the future:
- Review the Migration Guide for Runtime changes and Retargeting Guide for application compatibility issues that may affect your application.
- Re-test your application in your local browser and verify the application features.
Confirming the update on App Service
You can confirm your webapp’s current .NET Framework version by following these quick steps.
To see if your apps have been updated after we begin the platform update, check which .NET Framework version is in use by using the console.
Open the Console feature under Development Tools in the App Service blade of your Azure Portal.
Run the following command:
cd "\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework".
dircommand to list out the installed versions of .NET Framework.
If .NET Framework 4.8 is installed, it will be located at
D:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.8
Changes in the portal
When the deployment is complete across all regions, your Azure App Service portal will update to ASP.NET V4.8 replacing ASP.NET V4.7 in the .NET Framework version drop down under General Settings in the Configuration blade.